Monday, December 10, 2012

Joseph Elghoul Reflection


                This course has been the most important part of my engineering education thus far. I feel that topics covered and activities engaged will be very relevant in my future career. All the aspects of the class from the actual design and manufacturing to working with a team and make decisions taking multiple ideas into the thinking.  Topics covered in lecture also helped with thinking about the basic things to think about in the design process.
                The design and manufacturing portions of this class were the most enjoyable from my perspective. This was the first course I have taken that gave me experience with a CAD program. That CAD program was Solidworks that became a necessary tool in the design of our machine. The way Solidworks was taught was done very efficiently in that different steps were taught to us that we later would piece together. Using a CAD program in designing our machine before any actual machining anything allowed our group to know almost every detail of our machine from the very beginning. This allowed us to anticipate problems and told us much more about a proposed design than a simple sketch would. Not only was this my first experience with a CAD program but this course also was my first experience with machining on this class. The machine shop was somewhere where once I got a handle of different processes and the functions of different machines I became very efficient with my time. Total machining time would definitely be a fraction of the original time spent when I was still learning how to use the machine. The machine training was a very rough and brief introduction to the machines. For example, when it comes to my personal experience with the lathe, I needed to go through the same process at least three times until I felt comfortable that I was doing things correctly. Repetitive experience was the only way I learned while in the machine shop. Reading instructions off a paper and going through the physical motions were very different things.
                The experience I had with my team was a very favorable one. I was lucky to be in a group where the members were accountable and productive. What was different about this team is that more true than other groups I’ve been in, certain members had certain training. Using the knowledge of who knew how to do what is how we distributed the work among the team members. This was especially true when it came to the machine shop where we tried to keep the same people working with the same machines so that we were well experienced with whatever process we were performing. The team used our time wisely and we met all deadlines. Once again, stating that our group was very productive and there wasn’t the case of harassing a member to get something done that he was being lazy on, it did not happen on team Highrollers.
                Lecture was an effective tool in that it familiarized us with the science behind what we were producing. It was not only relevant to our machine but I feel since it was so basic it will apply to future things I will design in my engineering future. When lecture spoke about different things to reduce friction and deciding on which material will work best in particular situations are tools that are universal to all design processes.
                Overall this course was very valuable and educational to me as a result of the work of the professors, my GSI, and my team members. This course was more enjoyable than most courses and should not be altered too much if at all. Although my team did not fair too well in the competition, the process was educational, positive, and most of all, memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment